Sunday, November 15, 2009

In the Beginning: Our Big News!

Welcome to my new blog! I don't want to get ahead of myself, because the future is uncertain, but I'd like to devote this blog solely to this new journey that I'm on.... my pregnancy! It's a journey I'm taking one day at a time, as I hope and pray for the best possible outcome for all of us. I copied and pasted this first post from my Facebook note, but I think I'll use this blog for updates from here on out.

After four long years of trying and lots of tears and prayers, I recently discovered that I am pregnant. Though my initial reaction was of course excitement, that was quickly followed by intense worry and fear that this one would not "work out." Having lost one pregnancy before, I've found it incredibly difficult not to expect the worst this time as well. By the time our first ultrasound appointment rolled around (yesterday, Nov. 5), I had pretty much convinced myself we weren't going to see anything on the screen. I even told Kevin, "I don't want to do this" as we walked into the exam room.

There's no way to describe what I felt when I saw a tiny "jelly bean" baby on that screen. When the doctor pointed out the little flicker that was the heartbeat, all I could do was cry. And then...

They found another one. And then. They found. Another. One.

Three babies, three heartbeats!

Shock, awe, elation, terror - we've been experiencing all these emotions and more in the last 24 hours! It's still very early, but there's no way we would be able to keep this a secret!

Most of our friends and family have been so supportive, encouraging, and incredible in sharing our joy with us, and for that we are so, so grateful. To those of you who have been praying with us and for us for so long, we cannot thank you enough. A few of the reactions I've received have surprised me a little, such as "It's going to be really hard, you know" and "Don't get too excited yet, a lot can happen" (and yes, even "You're going to get so big!" Yeah, I know. Thanks). But mostly, I've been overwhelmed by the genuine excitement others have shown for us.

Trust me; I of all people know far too well that anything can happen. I understand just how uncertain life can be. But, I also understand now more than ever that this whole pregnancy, my health, and the lives of my children all lie in the hands of God. I don't know what the future holds and I don't know what God's will is. All I can do is trust Him and face each day with the hope that no matter what transpires in the months ahead, He is in control.

This is considered a high-risk pregnancy. That means I'll be monitored closely and often by doctors specializing in multiple pregnancies. I am fully aware that we might not be bringing home three living babies, but of course we are hoping and praying for the best. I've been told by our doctors that chances are very good we will bring home at least two. Honestly, I'm not even ready to think about bringing anybody home - I'm just focused on keeping everybody healthy while they're still inside. : )

I am currently six, almost seven, weeks pregnant. In a "normal" situation, my due date would be June 29; however, if all three babies continue to grow and thrive, the doctor doesn't think I'll make it into the month of June at all. The doctors have told me to expect for the babies to spend some time in the NICU after they're born.

So yes, I know there is risk. I know it will be hard. But I'm not going to let fear keep me from enjoying this - the biggest adventure of my entire life!!

I plan to be very open about this journey and share each new milestone with you, our family and friends. Thank you again to all of you who have been so supportive and have been devoted to praying for us along the way. Please continue to keep us and our little ones in your prayers - we're going to need it! : ) And for anyone who has ever doubted, we are proof: miracles happen! (I think we're also proof that God has a sense of humor.) Yes, we had a little medical help in getting here, but the chances for triplets were only 1 percent! ONE PERCENT! My doctor told me yesterday we should buy a lottery ticket on the way home. But I think we've already won.

No comments:

Post a Comment