I thought I was going to be 8 weeks today, but apparently I won't reach that milestone for two more days according to the doctor I met with today. We saw a high-risk OB for what I thought would be my first actual OB appointment, but it was basically just another ultrasound and some very basic "counseling" on the most general expectations for a triplet pregnancy. The good news is that the ultrasound looked great. I was happy I got to see the babies again, and because this office had really high-tech equipment (and probably also because the babies are bigger), the heartbeat was much easier to see. They still look like little blobs for the most part, but I could definitely see the shape of a little head and also little arm and leg "nubs."
The doctor we talked to said that out of all the different types of triplet pregnancies, this is the best kind to have. All three babies are in separate sacs and so they each have their own blood supply. She also said that I have a "retroverted, retroflexed" uterus which basically means my uterus tilts backward instead of forward and is at an odd angle. Or something like that. It was hard to follow but she did say that it was relatively common and no cause for concern, as they usually correct themselves during the course of the pregnancy. I refuse to Google it because there will probably be some article on there about how someone else had the same thing and her uterus ate itself or something. No more Google for a while. As long as the doctor says not to worry about it, I'm going to trust her and her medical degree.
She also said that a C-Section is pretty much a definite, which I figured, but that their doctors won't actually schedule one until a woman reaches 36 (or it might have been 34) weeks, which is pretty optimistic for a triplet pregnancy. Because the goal right now is just to get me to 30 weeks, I'm wondering where that leaves me. Obviously that means my delivery will most likely NOT be scheduled. I'm trying not to imagine the worst, but I'm just thinking about that 30-40 minute drive to the hospital and what that might look like if I'm already in labor. Oh well, let's just cross that bridge when we get to it. I could very well be on hospital bed-rest long before that, which doesn't sound fun but WOULD be kind of reassuring.
The funny thing was that the doctor was supposed to go into another room and talk with another couple before she came to us, but she got us mixed up. So when she walked in, she had a big smile on her face and said, "I guess you already know the sex of the baby since you saw it on the ultrasound today!" This was followed by blank stares from both Kevin and myself. I was thinking wow, technology has really come a long way, since they can tell the sex at 8 weeks. She was very confused until I spoke up and told her I was the one with three babies. She was embarrassed, I was amused, and Kevin was questioning our choice of doctor.
Did I mention I watched A Baby Story today and saw a woman pregnant with twins give birth to the first baby on her kitchen floor with her pants still on? Again, the distance to the hospital from our house has me concerned.
In other news, I bought my first pair of maternity pants! I honestly don't think I'm showing yet, at least I don't have that cute bump that most newly pregnant women have. It's hard to tell because I already had a tummy to begin with. I can still wear my jeans, but my dress pants are horribly uncomfortable. I'm hoping this is the first and last piece of maternity clothing I buy brand new. I've been scouring Craigs List for free and cheap hand-me-downs. I figure I'll go through several different sizes in the next few months, so no need to spend a lot on something I'm not going to wear very long.
Next appointment (and "first" OB appointment, which will include more than just an ultrasound) is next Tuesday afternoon. Luckily, we get to go to their satellite office for most of our future appointments so we won't have so far to drive. Thanks again to everyone who was thinking of us this morning. I always go into appointments feeling nervous but thankfully so far I've come out of them all feeling relieved.
Pics will come if I can get them resized on this computer. Right now they are on a disc and they're really big. We did get our first pic of all three babies together at one time, which is exciting, even though they still look like jelly beans. It's becoming more real to me now!
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are too funny...I had to laugh out loud when I read about the baby story episode...I wasn't watching it, but I heard it while I was in the other room yesterday! Don't panic, don't worry-God is in control...Blessings Tessa :)
ReplyDeleteHey! Congrats!! I have a ton of maternity clothes if you are interested in borrowing them. They are mostly winter ones, too. Just let me know.
ReplyDeleteTry looking for clothes on www.freecycle.org! You can look for people wanting to give some away in your area.
ReplyDelete