We had a great ultrasound appointment yesterday. Whoa - these babies have grown! So has my stomach! I swear it doubled in size overnight. The nurse practitioner said that my uterus is the size of a 16 week single pregnancy, and it shows.
Seeing the babies again was wonderful! Because they're still too small right now for me to feel them, it's easy to find myself wondering sometimes if they're really in there. I love having ultrasounds because they reassure me...there are definitely three babies in there! They were certainly hamming it up for the camera yesterday. They were jumping around and wiggling - one of them even "waved" at us! Babies A and B were really close together, and Baby C was more off to one side. I wonder if that one will take after me and be our shy, introverted one? All three had strong heart rates - a fact that made me give a physical sigh of relief. Of course, we still got the friendly reminder that up until 24 weeks there's still a 20% chance that we could spontaneously lose one. I for one could have done without hearing that little statistic at the end of an otherwise perfect appointment, but what can you do? I just flip it around and tell myself there's an 80% chance that WON'T happen...and considering there was a only 1% chance of triplets in the first place, I'm not sure that numbers mean that much to me anyway.
The doctor has suggested we schedule a time to take a tour of the hospital. They want me to be familiar with where we'll go when the time comes, check out labor and delivery, and of course see both the regular nursery and the NICU. They want me to see triplets, full term babies, and preemies so I won't be too shocked if my babies are surrounded by lots of wires and tubes in the beginning. I'm hoping we can set this up in the next couple of weeks. I like knowing what to expect, so this will be good for me.
I'm happy to report that my nausea seems to be gone for the most part (knock on wood). Instead, my appetite has taken over in a big way! Bring on the Christmas feasting! I've actually got an excuse to wear elastic pants this year. People joke about eating for four, but hey - don't knock it till you've tried it. I'm finally able to eat more meat and veggies, which is a relief. It seemed like all I could stomach for a while was junk. Thank goodness for prenatal vitamins.
I've started telling the kids in my class at school that there are "three babies in my belly." This has been met with a lot of "How did they get in there?" and "How will they get out?" to which I've consistently responded, "Go home and ask your mommy, she'll tell you." A couple of my older girls love to ask me about the babies every day. In other work-related news, it's getting increasingly tiring being on my feet all morning, and it's hard to get relief because I have two equally uncomfortable choices when it comes to sitting down: the floor, or extremely hard little-people chairs. I'm keeping a pillow in the classroom and thinking about taking a folding camping chair too. People ask me how long I'm going to work, and I honestly don't know. I'm afraid it might get harder than I think earlier than I'm expecting.
Next appointment is in two weeks. We'll be busy with lots of Christmas-y stuff between now and then so hopefully it will go by quickly. Belly pics (and maybe ultrasound pics) coming soon!
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lacey,
ReplyDeleteI am so overwhelmed for you! I just can not put it into words...
May God continue to bless each and every one of you!
Tessa