Sunday, December 20, 2009

Round Ligament Pain, Insomnia, Oh My!

I've hit the three month mark!! Whoo-hoo! I'm finally at the point where many people say it's safe to start telling people I'm pregnant - oops! I mean, really. After all this, how was I NOT going to tell everyone right away?? I tell strangers on the street! I actually went out of my way to walk by the guy giving out wine samples at Kroger so he could offer me some and I could decline by saying, "Oh no, I'm pregnant, I can't." (Hey, I've waited four years for this. I can be as crazy as I want.) Twelve weeks feels like a milestone, although I'm not sure that the second trimester officially starts until 13 or 14 weeks. I'll ask my doctor at my next appointment (this Tuesday), but I'm not sure it matters for me since I'm not going the full 40 weeks anyway. I mean, at 12 weeks, I'm pretty sure I'm a third of the way there.

My nausea has come back a little, but I'm still able to eat a lot better than I was. I'm still having trouble getting enough meat, though, and I worry that I'm not getting all the protein I'm supposed to. Someone suggested protein shakes, but is that safe? Another question for the doc next week. I felt a little rushed at my last appointment, and I refuse to let that happen this time. I have tons of new questions and I'm not leaving that office until I get them all answered, no matter how ridiculous they are. (I mean, I know it's probably safe to use a laptop when you're pregnant, but it doesn't hurt to just double check, right?)

I'm still as tired as ever - maybe more - but for some reason, I keep waking up in the middle of the night feeling wide awake. Of course, this could be because I actually go to sleep around 8:00 sometimes, but I can't help it. Growing three people is exhausting. I also wake up hungry (!) and thirsty, so for better or worse I seem to be forming a habit of getting up for a drink and/or snack. My other nighttime ailment is round ligament pain. Essentially, every muscle from my midsection to my knees is stretching, and it hurts. Every time I roll over. I have a feeling that a couple of months from now, when I've doubled in size yet again, I'll be finding out what insomnia is really like. I may look back on these nights and wonder what I was complaining about. Oh well, after these babies get here, sleep will be a distant memory anyway. Might as well start preparing now.

Only two more days of work until a ten-day break! I'm so excited, but all I want is to make it to my family, and I'm afraid we won't get to go, since they are currently buried under two feet of snow...with another front possibly moving in on Christmas Eve. Like so many other things, this is out of my hands, though. I just know that soon my traveling will be limited, and I really wanted to have Christmas with my fam. Hoping and praying for the best! (My new motto.) Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear things are going so well for you. :) I don't blame you a bit for telling everyone you meet. I hope you make it in, too. The roads are clearing, so maybe you'll be fine to make the trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, how does it feel to be a graduate?! Looks like we'll be able to come up after all - but staying with my Mamaw, as my mom still doesn't have power. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete