Monday, January 11, 2010

Hospital & NICU Tour

Today we made the trek to our chosen hospital for the big tour. The "bum leg" was already doing it's burning thing before we made it out of the tunnel connecting the parking garage to the hospital. Luckily, the lady giving the tour took one look at my hobbling and immediately grabbed a wheelchair. So, I got to sit back and enjoy being pushed around by my hubby. He only ran me into something two or three times, so we considered that part to be a success.

Some things we learned:
-Hospitals actually have intern sleeping rooms, just like on Grey's Anatomy!
-The interns don't really look like the ones on Grey's Anatomy!
-When the time comes, I'll actually go in through the Emergency entrance, and then be taken straight up to the Birthing Center
-That's because it's highly unlikely I'll just show up for a scheduled C-section. Most likely, "something will happen" that will require me to be admitted, and then it will just be a matter of "eeking out some more time" until it's safe for the babies to be born, or until they HAVE to be born, safe or not
-It's possible that one triplet could be born and then the others could be kept in for a while. Not probable, but possible. Case in point: one triplet in the NICU was born New Year's Eve, then the siblings arrived a week later. So they were born in different years!
-Unfortunately, the New Year's Eve baby we saw was one sick little peanut, born at only 23 weeks. I've never seen anything so tiny, and I cried all the way home. (Kept it together at the hospital though!) But, that little one was ALIVE and still surviving. Gotta have HOPE!
-The hospital doesn't rent out breast pumps. And the ones they recommend for pumping at home are very, very expensive. Hmmm, a new Registry idea? And, I will have to supplement with formula. It's pretty much a given with three.
-All three babies will be cared for by the same team, but they may not be in the same room/nursery. They don't do co-bedding there (I think for liability - the chance of SIDS increases), which makes me sad.

There was more - lots more - but my head is kind of spinning from all the info and the emotions it stirred up. Going to lie down for a while and pray that I don't have to go back there until May at the earliest!

No comments:

Post a Comment