We've made it to the next milestone, one I've been anxiously awaiting for so long! I am 24 weeks pregnant today, and my babies are now considered viable. As I've mentioned before, if they had to be delivered in the event of an emergency or serious complications, they would have a 50% chance of survival. It would not be a good thing for them to come now, but there's some comfort in knowing that they would have the potential to live as opposed to no chance at all. The more I hear and read about preemies, the happier I am with our choice of hospital, which houses a Level III/IV intensive care nursery. We're lucky to live so close to this hospital; I've done some research and found that severely ill/low birth weight babies from all over the state are often transferred there...which means their families often have to travel long distances or even relocate temporarily to be close to their little ones. Of course, I give these girls regular talks about staying put until May, so I'm hoping they listen to their mother and hang tight. I'm not interested in making any hospital trips any time in the near future.
Now that I've gotten this far, I'm really starting to believe this is actually going to happen. I'm so attached to these babies...that in itself scares me quite a bit, but it also pushes me to try and stay positive and strong. I just keep praying that things will continue to progress as they should and that we'll bring home three strong, healthy little girls in a couple of months! Kevin's office threw us a really nice baby shower a few days ago. We got so much great stuff for the babies, and everyone was so excited for us. Up until the last few weeks, it's been hard for me to look at baby stuff and think we're actually going to get to use it, but now it's truly starting to feel like a reality. We're slowly filling up the nursery with necessities...soon all we'll need to add are the babies! I can't wait until the day we're able to bring them all home. Only about 8 weeks until May!
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Congratulations on reaching 24 weeks! I'm sure you are breathing a bit more easily... well maybe breathing isn't quite right since the girls do take up a fair amount of room! But you know what I mean. :-)
ReplyDeleteI look forward to reading more updates - really boring ones that say "everything is the same, nothing exciting to report..." until you finally deliver in late May or early June. But have fun decorating the nursery.