Friday, February 12, 2010

20 Weeks: Not really a milestone, but...

Twenty weeks seems like a major milestone for some reason. It's not, really, but I think I just like seeing that 2 in front of the number. If this were a singleton pregnancy, I'd only just now be halfway there - sheesh! That's hard to imagine! It's somewhat comforting to know that in just four weeks, I'll be at the point where if the babies had to be born, they would have a small chance of survival. Of course, we do NOT want them coming that early, but I still think I'll relax a little more once I get to that point.

For the last few days, the nerve pain in my leg has been absolutely unbearable. While I used to find relief from it by sitting or lying down, lately there is no relief to be found. Lying down actually makes it worse, which is bad news for me, because I'll be lying down a lot more as my pregnancy progresses. In a state of desperation, I decided to try a chiropractor to see if it would help, even though (despite my doctor's OK), I've been more than a little hesitant to try that for fear it might hurt the babies. Apparently, chiropractic is very safe for pregnant women and even newborns. I'm not going to lie, though - I still worry about going and have not totally given up my fears. That said, I went yesterday for a consult, and since they say they can help me, I went back today for my first adjustment. It wasn't an instant fix, but I do feel it will help ease my pain if I keep going back, which they want me to do. Wish me luck!

I found out we don't qualify for WIC yet, and I'm not sure we will until the babies come. I sat for two hours in a crowded, uncomfortable waiting room to be told this. It was a little discouraging, but that's the way it goes. I did come home from that long, unpleasant afternoon to find...two big boxes of diapers on my doorstep, a gift from Kevin's brother Brian. Wow, my girls will have two great uncles! I wish they could have known their Uncle Garrod, but I believe he will always be looking out for them.

Now for the fun news: I can definitely feel my babies moving! Those little "flutters" I've been experiencing lately have been happening more and more often, and I now feel them in various parts of my tummy. I love it! I wonder exactly what they're doing in there. I imagine lots of wiggling and kicking. Wish I could see them!

Speaking of seeing them, I realize I've completely neglected putting updated ultrasound pics on here. How did I get so far behind? I'll have to make time this weekend to scan in some of the most recent ones and post them.

1 comment:

  1. You look great! And how exciting that you can feel them move. I'm not quite sure that I feel the boys move yet. Every once in a while, I feel something here or there (I think).

    I consider 20 weeks a milestone tool. I hear that the risk of miscarriage significantly drops at 20 weeks. On the flip side, though, the risk of pre-term labor increases so I guess we're never in the clear!

    I don't think it's unsafe to see a chiropractor, as he's not doing anything that would damage your uterus. I used to see a chiropractor for my back. It didn't help too much, even though he said I was getting better. It's worth a shot, and I'm thinking that if my pain doesn't get better, I may just find a chriopractor too. Please let me know if it helps!!

    ReplyDelete