Friday, April 9, 2010

Getting Prepared

Since I've heard that I should be ready for anything after 28 weeks, I decided hitting this milestone would be the right time to get a hospital bag packed "just in case." So far I've only packed some travel-size toiletries. I have my overnight bag laying out, but I feel like I can't put anything in it yet because I only have a limited number of comfy clothing items that actually fit, and I want to be able to wear them now instead of just having them sit in a bag. If only I could take myself shopping, then I'd pick up a couple of extra things I could pack away. Maybe I'll follow the lead of a fellow pregnant blogger and spend a little time shopping online today, although I fear that might wake a sleeping giant and get me into trouble. I could see that becoming a new favorite hobby fast. Maybe today I'll wash my extra bath robe and at least have that, my slippers, and some extra undies tucked into my bag. I've heard a lot of stories of triplet moms going to their regular OB/perinatologist appointments and being sent straight to the hospital from there. I'm not really expecting that to happen, but then again, I'm sure they weren't either. It couldn't hurt to be overly prepared in case something unforeseen comes up.

The number one thing I can't forget to grab should we have to make a quick run to the hospital is my glasses! I've told Kevin to remind me, but if we're frazzled or panicked, I can see this getting overlooked. Maybe I should make a big note to myself and stick it on the mirror. Apparently, you can't wear your contact lenses during a C-section, and without those or my glasses, I'm essentially blind. (The optometrist always has to special order my contacts because they never have a high enough prescription in stock, if that tells you anything.) It would NOT be cool to be in that situation and not be able to see what's going on.

In the spirit of getting prepared, last night Kevin said it was time to decide on definite middle names. We've been tossing out ideas for weeks and mulling over the possibilities, and we finally came up with three full names that we both like:

Reagan Olivia
Hadley June
Madeline Helen (for my grandma - non-negotiable)

I keep saying them over and over in my head. They sound perfect!

5 comments:

  1. But you can wear glasses during a C-section. And I have just recently lost my glasses. I AM LOST AND BLIND, but since Dorothy got here, I have just lost my head. All I can think about is her needs, not mine. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. to bring:
    underwear, but you'll probably just want to wear the panty hose/granny panties things they will give you
    sweats or something of the like
    shirts you can nurse in (if you do that)
    a roomy sports bra that opens (not the kind you put on over your head)
    socks socks socks!
    hair ties
    something to do! crosswords, books, i had tetrus
    lotion
    gum, for when you decide brushing your teeth isn't worth getting out of bed for (the first couple of days are hard)

    hope this gets you started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about packing a bag too! I'm hoping to have 6 more weeks to do that, but it's true that you never know when you'll need to go to the hospital. The uncertainty increases with the number of babies!

    When I was in the hospital last month, I only had my purse with me. I gave my husband a list of essentials and he ran home the next day to grab them. Truth is, I didn't really need more than that, if that. The hospital has the essentials and worst case scenario, you can do without them and have people bring you stuff later. I'm thinking my camera will be the most important thing!!

    I wonder who you're talking about doing the online shopping :-) The bug seems to have worn off. WELL...I DID buy $200 of diapers yesterday but I need those, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, and don't forget your glasses. I'd be blind without mine too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The names are beautiful!!! And as far as packing, I have no idea...I have never been in that situation, but I do keep an emergency bag in my trunk with a pair of pants, panties, socks, a couple shirts, a toothbrush, toothpaste, a roll of toilet paper, papertowels, and of course a pillow and a blanket...hmmm, but I don't have a first aid kit...So if you were packing a car I could help you, but it sounds to me like you have it down pat. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete