Tuesday, April 27, 2010

No news is good news

It's funny how much you look forward to doctor's appointments when they're basically your only outings. By the way, the end of this pregnancy has given me a new sympathy for older folks who are "shut in." It makes me very sad to think of people who can't drive themselves, can't get out, and don't get a lot of visitors. At least I've always known my situation is temporary. (Maybe when I start my non-profit, it will provide visitors and transportation to shut-ins. I'm not sure if this will be before or after I start my cake decorating and dog-walking businesses. You know, in all the down time I'm going to have as a full-time mom of three.)

Anyway, back to my appointment. It was basically just a very quick ultrasound to check heartbeats and make sure everybody looked OK. They did, which as always was a relief. Somehow I've gained five more pounds in the last two weeks. It's amazing how much the human body can stretch, I guess. My blood pressure was still normal, my "monster feet" appeared to be from typical pregnancy edema, and I was assured again that I'm not crushing or squishing the babies when I lie down on my side. No one would commit to even speculating as to when we might see some action, but no one seemed at all concerned that it might be soon. I KNOW this is great news for the babies, and I KNOW that's the most important thing. But it's hard not to have a small, selfish part of me wishing we could wrap this thing up. I was told that in a couple of weeks they would schedule a c-section date for "the beginning of my 36th week" (!) but that was immediately followed by "but you won't get that far." Interesting. I guess I need to start mentally preparing for the terrifying, water breaking in the middle of the night scenario I was hoping to avoid. My friend tells me that if we're going by the full moon, it will either be tonight or May 27. Given these options, I choose May 27. Maybe when it comes down to it, I'm not as ready as I thought.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a control freak, too. I know all too well how you're feeling with the "could happen at any time" business.

    My OB made the same comment about 36 weeks for me, told me not to worry that I won't make it that far. As if to think of making it to 36 weeks was something completely silly. :(

    I can only imagine with triplets how you're feeling. I know that I feel so torn between "I'm DONE and want these girls out NOW" and "Oh Gosh - I can do this a little longer! I've got to!"

    ReplyDelete