Monday, April 5, 2010

Wedding fun...and some fears for the future

My dear friend "AR" and I have known each other for over three years now. During that time, we've had many conversations speculating the likelihood of my having a baby and her finding a worthy guy and getting married. At least in the beginning of our friendship, we each doubted that we'd get to have these experiences (well, we doubted for ourselves, but were always confident for the other).

A few months ago, we realized that 2010 was going to be our year. Finally! Here I am, about to have not one baby, but three. And, just last Saturday, I got to be there to see her special day - her wedding! Ever since we learned I was having triplets, we've wondered if I'd be able to be a part of the festivities. To be honest, a few months ago I had my doubts. We vowed we'd do our best...wheel me in on a gurney, have the ceremony video streamed to a hospital room, if necessary...but thankfully, I was there, live and in person - and on foot. I decided I was too proud for the wheelchair AR's darling fiance had so graciously secured for me and decided I felt good enough to walk in to the church (but did a lot of sitting the rest of the afternoon). It was an absolutely beautiful wedding and I was even recognized in the program as the "honorary matron of honor - seated." Of course, lots of hormonally charged tears fell when I saw the girl I consider my "honorary little sister" walking down the aisle looking so amazing and so happy. And even though I was exhausted by the time I got home, it was worth it to have gotten to share her day with her. Congrats Mr. and Mrs. W!

It's apparent, though, that this will be my last big event of any kind until after the babies are born. You know that 27-week picture I posted a few days ago? Well, I swear I've gotten bigger since then - it happened seemingly overnight. I'm going to keep on going for as long as I can, but I fear that my days of walking unassisted, for even very short amounts of time, are numbered.

I wonder what the weeks ahead will bring...will things start happening, or will I just lie around uncomfortable but more or less complication-free, waiting and waiting while the babies (and my belly) keep growing? I don't know what to expect, and I'm starting to feel scared and nervous. Scared of having some problem here at home by myself, having to wait for Kevin to come home and then trying to make a frantic trip to the hospital...scared of getting bad news at a routine appointment...and yes, scared of the C-section, now that I'm finally letting myself really think about it. I feel nervous when I think about maybe having to be in the hospital for a while before delivering, and yet I feel nervous when I think about NOT being there for a while (in a way, it might seem safer to already be there). My head is spinning - and my body is hurting - but I guess I'll just keep taking it one day at a time.

2 comments:

  1. are you definately having a c-section? i had one with cole and it was a hard recovery the week following, but after that things were pretty good! and you'll have a lot of help, so things would be managable!! i think there's a reason babie sleep ALL the time in the beginngin! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The C-section isn't that scary, and a stay in the hospital is actually (for me anyways) less stressful than being on bedrest at home. I had people waiting on me, no housework, or cooking, or taking care of the animals, just sitting in a bed (which I did get a bed sore) and rest. LOVE YA GIRL

    ReplyDelete